Top posts

  • still in Islamabad - Toujours a Islamabad

    08 June 2009

    We couldn't take the flight to Skardu this morning. Unfortunately there is only one flight per day so we have to stay one more day in Islamabad and hopefully fly to Skardu tomorrow. The good side is that the food is excellent and we can gain some weight...

  • Philippe is awaiting the good moment

    29 June 2009

    Hi all, this is Anna writing from Islamabad and I am back from Base Camp. The technology hasn`t been great and I can only guess what is going on up there. The plan when I left Gasherbrum Base Camp the 23rd was that Philippe goes up to Camp 1 and sleep...

  • News from Philippe in Base Camp

    04 July 2009

    News from 3 July: "It is still very difficult to send email. Shortly, I have made a first acclimatisation climb to Camp 1 (5900m), returned back to BC, then we made a second climb to Camp 1 and then Camp 2 on Gasherbrum 2 (6450m). I came back to BC 3...

  • Photo albums uploaded/Album photos sur le blog

    07 July 2009

    Hi, I have uploaded 2 albums with photos from the trekk up to Gasherbrum Base Camp. I made a seperate one with all the people we met and that worked with us or other teams. More photos from the high mountain will be published after Philippe is back. See...

  • Return to Camp 2/Retour au Camp 2

    08 July 2009

    Hi, we have news from Philippe in Camp Base (6 July): Serap and I are ready, the material is up on Camp 2 on Gasherbrum 2 but there is too much snow and avalanches to do a summit bid. Right now we have good weather so it is stabilizing. But we will have...

  • Summit bid on G2 planned for the 14th

    10 July 2009

    This morning Philippe called from Base Camp. He feels great, eat much and is very motivated. They have a weather window coming up so the plan is to make a summit bid on Gasherbrum 2: 11th- Camp 1, 12th - Camp 2, 13th - Camp 3 (his birthday) and the 14th...

  • After 4 weeks of bad weather... Philippe is going home / Après 4 semaines de mauvais temps : Philippe rentre

    15 July 2009

    Philippe was stuck in C2 at 6450 m when a storm came in and they had loads of snow coming down. The summit attempt was canceled and they are all back in Camp Base since the 13th. It seems like the snow will continue falling and since they need a few days...

  • Karakoram 2009

    28 May 2009

    This summer Philippe Gatta will try to climb Gasherbrum II (8 035 m), Gasherbrum I (8 068 m) and Broad Peak (8 047 m) back to back and without supplementary oxygen. Cet été Philippe va essayer d’enchainer le Gasherbrum II (8 035 m), le Gasherbrum I (8...

  • Packing is done/Les bagages sont faits

    03 June 2009

    The final material is arriving as we speak:, the Exos 46 pack from Osprey as well as the Suunto X6HR & GPS X10 and a Summit Ice axe from Petzl. Thanks! Friday we will leave the sunny Nice for the 2 month long journey to Pakistan. Friends who are already...

  • Nice - Paris - Doha - Islamabad

    05 June 2009

    We take the first flight today and two more tomorrow. Hopefully we will reach Islamabad on the 7th with all our baggage. Below is the schedule for the coming days. Next update at Islamabad. Nous avons notre premier vol ce soir et deux de plus demain en...

  • Islamabad

    07 June 2009

    We arrived in Islamabad early this morning, fortunately with all our luggages. The flights were long but went well even though we slept only a few hours in the last 2 days. We are staying a bit outside of the city in a calm residential area. This place...

  • Driving to Skardu - Skardu en bus

    09 June 2009

    Today we woke up at 5am to go to the airport to take the flight to Skardu. We checked-in, passed the security check and waited several hours...until we have been told that the only flight of the day was cancelled. That happened 3 times in the past 4 days....

  • Skardu (2200m)

    11 June 2009

    June 9: Islamabad (500m) - Besham (600m) We left Islamabad after lunch hoping to reach Besham before the night. Most of the road was ok but many sections were very rough and took a lot of time. The scenery was nice and changing with the altitude, between...

  • Confirmed News - 2 nights at Camp 2

    30 June 2009

    It is now confirmed from Altitude Junkies website: Philippe and the other French independent climber Gorgan climbed to Camp 1and then Camp 2 on the 27th and 28th respectively and are planning to spend a second night at camp two for their personal acclimatization...

  • Snowy conditions = base camp hang

    03 July 2009

    Philippe and all other teams in the Gasherbrum Base Camp are still going to have to wait many days before they can start their summit push. The snow is falling and creating very unstable slopes, favourable for avalanches. If the conditions doesn't get...

  • Weather report/Prévision de météo

    06 July 2009

    The new forecasts predict somewhat good weather for the next few days but the jet stream might return to the mountain the 9th and 10th. Some more snow might fall during the 9th if forecasts are correct and as of now the slopes on Gasherbrum 2 between...